"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, January 1, 2018

Books I read in 2017

Happy New Year!!!!
I read so many books in 2017, so I want to share them with you all! They will be listed in the order I read them. If it has an asterisk (*) it means I read it for a challenge. I do not like all of these books, or recommend them. If you are interested, here is my list from 2016. One day, I hope to review all of them!

New to me reads:

A Study in Scarlet - by Arthur Conan Doyle
Story's End - by Marrisa Burt
Inside Out and Back Again - by Thannha Lai
The Q - by Beth Brower
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children - by Ransom Riggs (shudder)
Pride & Prejudice - by Jane Austen (Parts One, Two, Three, and Four)
Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Botswana - by Patti Wheeler and Keith Hemsteer
Faithful - by Janet Fox
Real Food/Fake Food - by Larry Olmsted
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - by J.R.R.Tolkien
Walk Two Moons - by Sharon Creech
Finding Love in Sun Valley, Idaho - by Angela Ruth Strong
Liffey Rivers and the Mystery of the Sparkling Solo Dress Crown - by Brenna Briggs
Sage Paints the Sky - by Jessie Haas
Meet Josefina: An American Girl - by Valerie Tripp
The Georges and the Jewels - by Jane Smiley
Naya Nuki: Shoshoni Girl Who Ran - by Kenneth Thomasma
Framed - by Frank Cottrell Boyce
The Tail of Emily Windsnap - by Liz Kessler
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - by J.K. Rowling
Five Little Peppers And How They Grew - by Margaret Sidney
The Sign of the Four - by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - by J.R.R.Tolkien
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood - by Howard Pyle
Dave at Night - by Gail Carson Levine *
The Teen's Guide to World Domination - by Josh Shipp
An Autobiography - by Agatha Christie
Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy - by Tui T. Sutherland
Liesl & Po - by Lauren Oliver *
The Journal of Jesse Smoke, A Cherokee Boy - by Joseph Bruchac
Five Glass Slippers - by Elisabeth Brown, Emma Clifton, Rachel Heffington, Stephanie Ricker, and Clara Diane Thompson.
The Land of Stories: Worlds Collide - by Chris Colfer
The Jungle Book - by Rudyard Kipling
Just Ella - Margaret Peterson Haddix
Esperanza Rising - by Pam Muñoz Ryan *
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - by J.R.R.Tolkien
Balto of the Blue Dawn - by Mary Pope Osborne
Saturdays at Sea - by Jessica Day George
Silent to the Bone - by E.L.Konigsburg (My least favorite book)
Snow in Summer - by Jane Yolen
National Velvet - by Enid Bagnold
Peter Pan - by J.M.Barrie
2010: Odyssey Two - by Arthur C. Clarke
Cloaked - by Rachel Kovaciny
The Princess Bride - by S. Morgenstern (aka William Goldman)
Summer of the Monkeys - by Wilson Rawls *
The Tiger Rising - by Kate DiCamillo
Pegasus - by Robin McKinley *
Five Enchanted Roses - by Kaycee Browning, Savannah Jezowski, Jenelle Schmidt, Dorian Tsukioka, and Hayden Wand.
Twelfth Night - by William Shakespeare
The Hound of the Baskervilles - by Arthur Conan Doyle
Swordbird - by Nancy Yi Fan
Wonderland Creek - by Lynn Austen *
Five Magic Spindles - by Rachel Kovaciny, Kat Medill, Grace Mullins, Michelle Pennington, and Ashley Stangl.
January Joker - by Ron Roy
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (mini review)
The Return of Sherlock Holmes - by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Headless Cupid - by Zilpha Keatley Snider
Throne of Grace - by Cecily Wolfe
Crown of Beauty - by Cecily Wolfe
The Valley of Fear - by Arthur Conan Doyle
His Last Bow - by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes - by Arthur Conan Doyle

Total: 65

Rereads:

The Pink Motel - by Carol Ryrie Brink
Pride & Prejudice - by Jane Austen. (I reread this for Amber's Pride & Prejudice read-along!)

Total: 3

My 10 Favorite New to Me (No specific order):

1. Pride & Prejudice - by Jane Austen
2. Peter Pan - by J.M.Barrie
3. The Sherlock Holmes Canon - by Arthur Conan Doyle
4. The Lord of the Rings - by J.R.R.Tolkien
5. Summer of the Monkeys - by Wilson Rawls
6. The Q - by Beth Brower
7. Rooglewood Press's contest books:
Five Glass Slippers,
Five Enchanted Roses,
and Five Magic Spindles.
8. Five Little Peppers and How They Grew - by Margaret Sidney
9. The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood - by Howard Pyle
10. Cloaked - by Rachel Kovaciny
I just realized that five was my lucky number this year.

Thank you so much to Heidi for hosting the Adventure of Reading Challenge this year!!

This year I am going to join the Mount TBR Challenge 2018 hosted by My Reader's Block!
I am going for: Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s.

Thank you for reading about my book craziness!

MovieCritic

16 comments:

  1. PETER PAN!! <3 <3 Looooove that book!!!

    And yes to Five Magic Spindles! I REALLY enjoyed the stories in that collection, and I'm in the midst of reading Five Enchanted Roses right now - all I've read is the first story, but it was soooooo good, so I have high hopes for the rest of them! :D

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word!!! <3 <3 It was so amazingly good!!

      Oh! Espirit de la Rosa is one of my favorites!! The others are sssooo good too. Let me know what you think when you finish! Are you planning on reading Five Magic Spindles? And, of course, I hope to read Five Poisoned Apples. ;D

      Thank you, Lila!! :)

      Delete
    2. Will do! I've actually already read Five Magic Spindles in its entirety, and I REALLY enjoyed all those stories!!! My favorites were the last two stories. :D

      Yep, me too! I'm excited to read Five Poisoned Apples whether I win or not! xD

      Delete
    3. Oh yes! Secret of the Tomb, and Spindle Cursed were really good! My favorites were Man on the Buckskin Horse, and The Ghost of Briardale. :D

      Oh yes, they are so good at picking stories, it will be exciting whoever is picked. :) But, I do get to read your story, right? :D

      Delete
  2. Wow. You read a lot of books this year. Well done!:)

    My favorites are Pride & Prejudice (obvi), Peter Pan, and Guernsey. But I have read some of the others. Some of these, though, are definitely on my to-read list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I probably won't read as many in 2018, becuase I want to focas on school more. :)

      Pride & Prejudice, in my opinion is Jane Austen's finest. :) Peter Pan made me so happy! And of all these books, Guernsey made me think the most. :) It was very good. Let me know what you think of them when you get to them! :D

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a LOT of books, MC!

    I so want to read all the Rooglewood books!!

    I'll have to check out that Mount TBR challenge...sounds interesting.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did surprise myself! ;)

      They are soo good! Let me know what you think of them when you do!

      I have so many books lying around that I need to read, so I think it will be good! :)

      Thanks for commenting, Catherine!! :D

      Delete
  4. I am agog! That's such a great list of books, MC. AND I an so, so honored that Cloaked made your list of favorites. Wow. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great reading year! I seriously don't know how I read that much. :D Cloaked definitely deserves to be on my top 10. <3

      Delete
  5. Man, I've only read 5 of these! I need to read more. A few of these are on my "to-read" list. :D But wow, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, which 5? They are definitely good books! I hope to read some more classics this year, though. Thanks, Rae! :D

      Delete
    2. Pride and Prejudice of course, Meet Josefina, The Land of Stories, Dave at Night, Peter Pan, Twelfth Night...okay so 6. And I think I've read Just Ella too, but it was long enough ago I'm not entirely sure.

      I need to read more classics this year too!

      Delete
    3. You've read The Land of Stories? What do you think of them? Peter Pan is so good! Twelfth Night was good, too! Just Ella was very different than I thought it would be.

      I'm hoping to read North & South, Little Dorrit, Ivanhoe, and Mansfield Park. What about you?

      Delete
    4. I read the first 3. Or 4. I loved the first one, but I liked them less as they went on. That's just me, though. My sister loved them all.

      Those are great choices! I've read all except Ivanhoe. Which I should read.
      I need to read The Lord of the Rings, and another Dickens would be great. Haha.

      Delete
    5. Same here. The first one was pretty good, but then weren't as good as the original. My sister's favorite is #5, though.

      Oh nice! Isn't your profile picture from North & South? I'm reading Mansfield Park right now, and it is a very different Austen than I'm used to.
      The Lord of the Rings are so good! I think you would like them! Oh yes, I need to read more Dickens as well. :D

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles