"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, January 22, 2018

Mansfield Park Read-Along: Part 2

Hello!
I am here (late) once again for Amber's Mansfield Park read-along!
Make sure to go check out Amber's thoughts for this week!

'...The buzz of discussion was high between Tom, Maria, and Mr. Yates...' Or, between Amber and all her readers...

There might be a few spoilers, so if you haven't read Mansfield Park, please don't read this post.


Mansfield Park Volume I: Chapters 13-18 and
Volume II: Chapters 1-6
Discussion Format: your favorite quotes, general impressions, and three questions to answer for each week's reading

Favorite Quotes:

'The aspect was so favourable, than even without a fire it was habitable in many an early spring...'

"How wonderful, how very wonderful, the operations of time, and the changes of the human mind!"

General Impressions:

"I suppose I am graver than other people." Once again, I think Fanny and I are very alike. She just doesn't want to do the wrong thing. I don't like how they think they can just order her around. She will do it, but it isn't nice of them. I don't like how they pressured her into reading the part. "Fanny is the only one who has judged rightly throughout, who has been consistent."

"Could it be possible? Edmund so inconsistent. Was he not deceiving himself?" My opinion of Edmund dropped way down. He was opposed to the play, then all of a sudden he is in the play because he is opposite Miss Crawford. This is just too much. Move on, Fanny.

Of all of the Jane Austen books I have read, I have two least favorite characters: George Wickham, and Mary Crawford. Mary is just so rude, mean, and selfish. She has said something terrible about pretty much everybody. I didn't mind her at first, but now, just no.

Mrs. Norris is also so annoying. Doesn't she know other people have feelings, too?

'Her heart was sore and angry, and she was capable only of angry consolations.' If there is anyone I pity, it is Julia. Though, when she was like this, and she was "lonely" why didn't she talk to and be with, Fanny?

"He is not a shining character, but he has a thousand good qualities!" I like Mr. Rushworth. I don't like Mrs. Rushworth (Maria). She is also inconsistent. "She is too good for him." WHAT? '"We see things very differently," cried Maria.' because I think HE is too good for her.

'She did not like him as a man, but she must admit him to be the best actor, and on this point there were not many who differed from her.' I do think that Mr. Yates is a little bit annoying.

"Where is my little Fanny?" That almost made me cry. I actually like Sir Thomas, even in the beginning. I am so glad that Fanny likes him now. I can see how when she was little he was intimidating, but I'm happy she got over that.

Discussion Questions:

1. If you were one of Maria's parents, what might you have said to her before the wedding?

Well, I would have been like Sir Thomas. Then I would have said, "Be happy with what you have, because some are not as lucky as you." 'Cause she is not that grateful, and she takes things for granted.

2. What are your thoughts on the friendship between Fanny and Miss Crawford? What would you recommend to improve their relationship?

Fanny was feeling very poorly, and Mary Crawford made her feel better, but it was just to get her to do the play in the long run. Fanny saw that, and appreciated it at the time, wouldn't call Mary her friend.

Then, Mary just had Fanny as her "friend" because she had nothing else to do. She didn't even care what Fanny said. If it were to be an actually "friendship" then Mary needs to listen and care about what Fanny says.

"My dear Miss Price, I beg your pardon, but I have made my way to you on purpose to entreat your help." I kind of liked Mary here, as she actually was asking Fanny's opinion, but it was for the purpose of impressing Edmund, so....

3. Consider Mr. Crawford's sudden interest in Fanny or Edmund's admiration of Miss Crawford. What makes them so attractive to these guys? What would you consider to be valid reasons for falling in love?

Well, once again with Mr. Crawford, I think it is more that he has nothing to do, that he talks to Fanny, than anything else. And, Miss Crawford doesn't respect Edmund's wishes for taking orders, so I don't think either of those are valid reasons.


With that: 'The house would close with the greatest eclat.'

Thank you so much for reading! And a big thank you to Amber for hosting this! Please tell me what you think about Mansfield Park!

MovieCritic

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you weave quotes into your posts, and it's always so fun to hear your thoughts on the different characters! I think the relationship between Fanny and Sir Thomas ends up being so precious. :) Thank you for participating in the read-along!!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always find way too many quotes, so I try to stuff as many of them in as I can. And thank you again, I often am not sure what I think of the characters until the end, but I loved how Fanny and Sir Thomas were from the beginning! Thank you so much for hosting this! :D

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles